Buford White, longtime businessman and civic leader.
Mr. White served on the Board of Directors of Allied Building Stores, Oklahoma Lumberman's Association, the United Fund, Shawnee Chamber of Commerce, American National Bank, Mission Hill Memorial Hospital, Seminole State College and helped with the founding of and served on the Board of His House. Buford was a charter member of the Shawnee Home Builders Association. He was elected to the Association's first Board of Directors, and continued to be a strong advocate for the Home Builders Association.
He served as past President of the following organizations: Oklahoma Lumberman's Association, Shawnee Chamber of Commerce, Lion's Club, Shawnee Golf & Country Club, Shawnee Toastmasters, and the Shawnee Shrine Club.
He served the following organizations in various capacities: Jones-Blair Paint Advisory Council, Advisory Board of Macklanburg-Duncan, City of Shawnee Planning Commission, Potentate's Aide to India Shrine Temple, Shawnee Jaycees, and the OBU President's Council.
Buford was active in the following organizations: Wesley United Methodist Church, Shawnee Lion's Club, Shawnee Masonic Lodge (of which he is a 32nd Degree Mason-McAlester Consistory), and the India Shrine Temple. He received 50-year membership awards for the Lion's Club and the Masonic Lodge.
Organizations that he also believed in and supported were his church, the Boy Scout program, Habitat for Humanity, the D.A.R.E. program, Shawnee Downtown Christmas Parade, the carpentry class at Gordon Cooper Technology Center, Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation and the Salvation Army.
Mr. White has received many awards and honors which include:
- Service to Humanity Award presented by the Shawnee Jaycees
- OBU Leadership Award
- Shawnee Business Leader of the Year
- Ace 2000 Partnership
- One of the Top Three Ace Dealers in the country selected out of the 5,300 Ace Stores 1995
- Ace Hardware President's Club Award
- Number One Ace Hardware Dealer in the world 1997
- Number One Lumber Dealer by the Oklahoma Lumberman's Association
- Inductee to the Alumni Hall of Fame, Seminole State College
- Gordon Richards, Sr Service Award
- Gordon Cooper Technology Center Hall of Fame
- Ace Hardware Golden Hammer Award
- Citations from Representative Bob Weaver, Senator Brad Henry, Governor Frank Keating, Speaker of the House Kris Steele, and Mayor Wes Mainord